Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Parents banned from taking pictures of their own children at sports day

Could this be happening in NZ soon? I've just been reading an article the Telegraph about a primary school in the UK that is the first to ban parents taking pictures of their own children at sports events. Why? Well read the article for yourself but it's not entirely clear. The assumption is that photos could fall into the wrong hands and be used for dodgy purposes but I think this is the first step on a very slippery slope indeed ...

Free Signature Generator

2 comments:

Manaiakalani said...

This is something I included in a blog post early in the year http://manaiakalani.blogspot.com/2009/03/future-proofing-your-web-2-students.html so I can understand where they may be coming from. We have a clear agreement that our students will not be published on YouTube and yet parents snapping/filming away at sports days feel free to upload their images/film to YouTube - and of cause at sports days they include other people's kids.
So whose rights are being violated?
The ethical questions are too grey to get idignant about I believe :)

Belinda said...

I do understand what has driven the school into making this decision but I just don't like the direction they have chosen. My problem is I can't think of a viable alternative so I shouldn't really criticise I suppose!